Applications are now being received for Season 22 (2021-2022)
Monument source material is written by dedicated and committed competitors and their coaches to help develop the best resources possible for the next wave of speech and debate competitors. Upon acceptance of your application, the Publisher will connect you into the writing process that we have here at Monument. Please read all the requirements, guidelines, compensation, and terms below. If you agree and would like to apply to the team, send us your sample brief and await a reply.
- Integrity, follow-through, and desire to be a Monument Writer (see video above).
- Two or more years experience in speech and/or debate with an admirable success rate in competition.
- An expert knowledge in speech and debate theory and strategy.
- Excellent writing skills and control of the English language.
- Ability to follow guidelines and templates provided by Monument.
- Commitment to give focused attention to what is needed to write great source material for our members.
Season 21 Writers Guidelines
Every category has a template that models a complete submission. Monument Writers will follow this model by downloading the template and filling it out as they research their assignment. The following are brief explanations of each Monument category.
- Lincoln-Douglas. Writers will respond to resolutions in two subcategories: NCFCA and Stoa. Assignments will consist of a one-paragraph introduction, an automated table of contents, a full value debate case, an opposition brief that addresses the main application(s) in the case, and a works cited page. Writers will work closely with the LD editor to assemble excellent source material for LD debaters. First round of submissions are due July 19, 2021.
- Policy. Writers will respond to resolutions in two subcategories: NCFCA and Stoa. Assignments will be negative or generic briefs only, with the exception of 10 affirmative cases to release at the beginning of the season. Each submission will include a short introduction, automated table of contents, fully cited material, and a works cited page. Writers will work closely with the policy editor to assemble excellent source material for policy debaters. First round of submissions are due July 19, 2021.
- Extemp, Parli and Impromptu. Writers will be assigned for two-week slots where they will follow the news closely and assemble source material for extempers, parli debaters, and impromptu speakers. The extemp download will focus solely on headlines and select one headline as its feature. The parli download will do the same, but the feature headline will be a policy headline for the first week, and a value headline the second week. One round of impromptu questions (20 total) that centers on a creative theme will be the weekly impromptu download. Submissions are due the Friday before every release date.
NOTE: All submitted material must be “complete,” and incomplete submissions could be compensated 50% and the byline shared depending on how many changes the Managing Editor needs to put into the piece. If a submission needs to be significantly altered, Monument will consider the case co-authored and paid accordingly. Preference will be assigned to the most proficient writers.
All works are paid within 1 week of its online publishing. Writers are paid as contractors and should not consider themselves employees of Monument Publishing. Published works become copyright material of Monument Publishing and may not be sold or given away without written approval of Monument Publishing. Authors are allowed to call themselves Monument Writers and may request letters of recommendation for future endeavors.
- $50 – Lincoln-Douglas Case + Opposition Brief
- $50 – Policy Debate Case + 2A Brief
- $50 – Policy Debate Negative or Generic Brief
- $50 – Extemp/Parli/Impromptu Package Release
Terms & Conditions
Agreement to these Terms is unique to the applying Writer and is a legally binding contract. In consideration of the mutual promises, terms and conditions stated below, the parties agree as follows:
- Work to be Performed: Writer will provide completed work to fit the need of one or more of the publishing slots explained in the Writer Guidelines. The Writer will work with editors as needed to complete their assigned source material. Submissions may require use of a Word template and must fulfill all the components listed in the Writers Guidelines.
- Compensation: Writers will be compensated within 1 week of the date of publication. Writers must have a Paypal.me account to be paid via Paypal from the Monument Publishing Paypal Account. To open an account, click here.
- Original Content: The Writer warrants that the work is original, accurate, and does not infringe on any copyright. Work extracted from other sources will be cited giving full credit to the owner of these sources.
- Promotion. Writer agrees to make an honest effort in assisting Monument Publishing in promoting the source material. This may include Facebook posts and forwarding emails to the Writer’s circle of speech and debate friends. Writer understands that Monument Publishing has the privilege of referring to the writer as a Monument Writer.
- Independent Contractor: The Writer is an independent contractor, and nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed to (i) give either party the power to direct and control the day-to-day activities of the other, (ii) constitute the parties as partners, joint ventures, co-owners or otherwise, or (iii) allow Freelance Writer to create or assume any obligation on behalf of Monument Publishing for any purpose whatsoever. Freelance Writer is not an employee of Monument Publishing and is not entitled to any employee benefits. Freelance Writer shall be responsible for paying all income taxes and other taxes charged to Freelance Writer on amounts earned hereunder. All financial and other obligations associated with Freelance Writer’s business are the sole responsibility of Writer.
- Noncompete Disclosure: Writer agrees to never overlap work done for Monument with any other source material provider. Writer will keep all emails, discussion and research involved with the development of the content confidential.
Instructions for Applying
After reading all the above, if you feel you would like to join the Monument Writing Team, then follow these instructions:
- Send a sample case and brief that you have personally written to email@example.com.
- You will receive a reply within 5 days on your acceptance or denial. Please resubmit if you do not hear from us.
- Upon acceptance, we will ask you to fill out an online form and send us a nice photo to use for publication.